Our aim is to provide our readers with quality stories that explore Catholic themes, imagery and imagination. Please consider these guidelines before sending us a review request
- Free or discounted by at least 50%. We promise our members that we will only feature books that have been deeply discounted.
- The best deal available. We won’t consider a book if it has been offered for a better price in the last 90 days, or if it will be offered for less in the near future.
- Error free. We look for content that is well-formatted and free of typos and grammatical errors.
- A limited-time offer. While we do consider permanently free books, we otherwise don’t feature low-price offers that are always available.
- Fiction. Currently the state of nonfiction publishing is healthy and vibrant. Due to our limited numbers we only focus on creative works in an effort to give a boast to an element of the Catholic literary scene that sorely needs it.
- Catholic & Catholic Friendly. Your book does not need to be written by an author who is Catholic. We respect the privacy and ingenuity of authors. If you are an author and you wish to make it known that you are a Catholic we will inform our readers. If you wish the book to be it’s own voice we will respect that as well and note merely the themes and imagery that seem to explore Catholicism, Catholic culture or issues. Your book does not need to agree with everything in Catholic theology. We will point out to our readers where a book’s worldview seems to explore, agree with, or differ from a Catholic one and leave it up to the reader to decide if such a book is for them. This point also serves as insurance in case we accidentally misinterpret the message of the book.Your book need not explore Catholicism solely.However we will be asking ourselves if a Catholic audience would benefit from the story in question. Characters from other faiths and symbolism incorporating diverse perspectives are appreciated. In fact some of us have specific religions and cultures, aside from Catholic ones, that we are personally interested in seeing more of. (See more on that on our About page. )Disagreement and Dialogue through fiction is cherished. Misrepresentation is not. The quickest way to ensure your book will not be reviewed is if you represent Catholicism as believing, saying or doing things that the Church does not believe, say or do. Criticism of Catholicism is fine but it is misinformation that breeds prejudice.
- Multiple Submissions You may submit more than one book at a time. If you wish us to review a series start by requesting we review the first book and note in the body of the message if the book is part of a series.
- No re-submissions. If we do not agree to review your book on the first try we are not likely to agree the second time. However you may submit a different book by the same author.
- Find your Ideal Reviewer. Go to our “About” page and read about our reviewers to find out what we are looking for in the next book. If you can find a reviewer who might like your book this will increase the chances that you will get a review.
- Our Credibility rests on Honesty. Our goal is to provide our readers with quality stories. Thus we will not post a review of your book if we cannot post a good review. That said, a good review does not mean that it will be without criticism. Also if we have not yet reviewed your book it does not necessarily mean that we do not like it. We may just be busy. Keep in mind that we are a small team, providing this service for free. It is not a personal criticism if we happen not to like your book. Our credibility with our readers rests upon our sincerity. If we cannot provide a sincere and positive review of your book then you will find better success elsewhere anyways.
How to Submit
Email us a firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Submission: Book-Title.”
DO NOT ATTACH YOUR BOOK TO THE EMAIL. This will only slow our system down and make it that much longer before we can reply to you.
In the body of the email include these:
- Book Blurb
- Why you think it would be a good fit for the Catholic Reads audience
- list of the themes explored in your book.
- If you think this book would be particularly fit for a specific reviewer on our team let us know.
- If it is part of a series mention that as well.
We will contact you with a request for the book if we think it might be a good fit.